Gig Review: Two Door Cinema Club

Two Door Cinema Club, with support from Swim Deep and Bastille.
The Music Hall, Aberdeen. Monday 4th February.


My first gig of the year (a bit earlier than last year's in October!), I popped off to the Music Hall on Monday night with my sister to see Two Door Cinema Club.

Let's just quickly deal with their first support act - Swim Deep. I only stopped to watch about one of their songs and they were okay. They might have been better than okay if I wasn't so incredibly distracted by the fact that they looked like a Nirvana tribute act. Like, seriously.

So that's that dealt with.

Their second support act came in the form of Bastille and we should probably just pause to acknowledge how bloomin' brilliant they are!

One of my favourite bands of the last year (as you may have noticed if you've seen playlists  3, 5, 7 or my top 100), I was more excited to see them than the headliners, as soon as I heard they were providing support. They didn't disappoint. Singing their single releases - 'Bad Blood', 'Flaws' and 'Pompeii' - as well as some other tracks from their album and a somewhat surprising cover of 90s dance hit 'The Rhythm of the Night', their sound was flawless and they had stage presence in abundance. I'm really excited for their album release now.


And then came the headliners, Two Door Cinema Club. I really love their sound as a whole and Alex Trimble's voice is spectacular (Olympics opening ceremony, anyone?), but I must confess to not being entirely familiar with all of their material. At least, I didn't think I was.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I knew almost every song of their set-list and that their sound translates just as well to a live performance. So good!

In stage presence terms, I think Bastille might have just pipped them to the post, but they made up for it by sending the audience into a frenzy with some HUGE balloons released over the crowd during the last (pre-encore) song.  Chaos, yes, but very pretty chaos and such good fun!


All in all, a really enjoyable evening full of ridiculously talented young men - how could I possibly complain?!


Post a Comment

0 Comments